Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Unbearable Lightness of Blogging

Despite the hacking cough that trailed me all day, I awoke this morning after a solid night's sleep feeling more definitively well than I have in over three weeks. I've felt a bit shell shocked the past while, lurching between good and bad news as its presented itself. In the past three weeks, I've had a bladder, then a sinus infection, had an uncle die, one of our family dogs was diagnosed with cancer and my best friend's mother passed away after an extended illness [a term that in its particular context is almost ridiculous in its understatement.]

At the same time, I recorded my sung voice work [which I have heard through various people is all over the radio apparently], booked another voice over and did it last night and have another one to do next week, a circumstance I am immensely grateful to the Fates for as I'm not sure how well prepared all my hacking today would have made me to do a good job. Ultimately, you always make it happen when it counts, but still, one always likes to feel at the top of their game in such circumstances.

I'm just grateful for the work and I'm not viewing anything as a guarantee, but I'd be lying if I were to deny having sat at my desk only to temporarily lose myself in the thought of days filled with scripts and microphones instead of websites and corporate machinations. I actually had a not so bad day today and it's on days like this that I think that maybe it wouldn't be so bad if my company did extend my contract. Perhaps it's just the anticipation of my vacation next week clouding my judgement.

Yes, I am taking a vacation. I just couldn't hang in there until the end of my contract. I am losing my mind with fatigue and need a rest, even if it's just a week with my ass parked on the couch watching movies. I need to not be at work. Period.

It's a bit lonely tonight. The Marine is out of town with his brother visiting family. I'm typing this listening to my baroque cd in his office. In the meantime, I finally got my MSOffice software loaded on my laptop. Next key step is to get internet downstairs so I can surf and write away as I like without having to bump the Marine off.

I have some great ideas for my play and I'd really like to finish getting them down. Maybe something will come of it.

I've just learned the last little while not to give in to my glums and to keep going.

But more on that later.

2 comments:

The Brown Blogger said...

Progress does come with a hell of a lot of baggage, but it does come.

Condolences, aw shucks and whaaat? is being directed your way.

You'll be surprised how much you can get done before he comes back.

Deanna McFadden said...

It's been a hell of a few weeks, hasn't it?