Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Red Pill or Blue Pill? Actually, It's Purple.

"Gimme, Gimme more." - Britney Spears

This morning saw me back at my doctor’s office with a simple request. Give me back my life.

After I was diagnosed with acid reflux I was given a 3 week supply of Nexium. This drug essentially turns off the miniscule acid pumps in your stomach, thus reducing the amount of acid in your stomach. This in turn reduces and eventually eliminates the acid that is refluxing back up your esophagus to wage its various depredations.

Within ten days of starting this drug I noticed some changes.

I didn’t wake up with a sore throat and swollen glands.
I didn’t have a hoarse voice all day.
I didn’t have congested and swollen sinuses. As a result, my sense of smell and taste were amplified considerably.
I didn’t have shooting and ongoing pains through my lower ribs and between my shoulder blades.
I didn’t incessantly crave sugar, salt and caffeine.
I slept right through the night and arose feeling like I’d actually slept, which meant I could do things like work out and write in my journal and make dinner without feeling like the effort was Herculean.

Why the above list? Because until all of these symptoms started going away, I wasn’t really aware of how omnipresent they were. These symptoms compose the general state of crapdom that has been my health for well over a decade, or as we Glaswegians say “feelin’ like a half shut knife.” It’s amazing how your body gets used to things, how your physicality takes on a compensatory mode when its only continually poked here and shoved there, never having to contend with backalley shit kickings the likes of which Ragdoll and my Mum have experienced.

So after years of massages and rolfing, body work inside and out, tons of supplements, homeopathics and flower remedies, energetic therapies, wheat free, sugar free, milk free, nothing-good-to-eat-ever-free diets, and the thousands spent on all the aforementioned, 10 days of taking “the little purple pill” as it has become known wrought more positive change than 10 months of any of the above. I felt normal.

I felt good.

So needless to say, when I finished the initial three week course and only two weeks after finishing crapdom beckoned once again, I decided “Aw hell nah.” I now have a two month supply from my doctor with an agreement to check in with her regularly for renewals.

Suddenly a lot seems possible again. We’ll see.

No comments: