Monday, November 26, 2007

Treading the Boards Once Again

Well I went to my first audition in ten years tonight. I am not ashamed to say that enroute, I prayed to God that I wouldn't make a total ass out of myself.

I arrived, checked in and kept running my monologue through my head. It's been a bitch to memorize, but of course I had to pick Lettice from Lettice and Lovage didn't I? The part was originated by Maggie Smith. It's hardly lightweight.

But what the hell? Go hard or go home.

So I sat for while and eventually got to meet "theatre chick". There's one at every audition and I usually encounter them.

She said to the receptionist "Oooooooooooooooohh. I so wish I could come and see your current show, but I'm in another show at the moment."

To which the receptionist replied that the show was still on next week.

"OOOOOOOOOooooooooohhhhhh. I have theatre nights booked next week."

Yes, you are so talented and theatrical in every way. Now please f*ck off.

So I get to audition. I'll spare unnecessary detail. I ended up blanking towards the end of my monologue but the director didn't seem that bothered. She asked me to do it again with a different tone.

She then had me read for three different parts. If I'm cast, my money's on the fat old lady.

One, because I'm fat.

Two because I can pull it off. I remember performing the part of Rebecca Nurse in The Crucible at highschool, and it's no word of a lie to say it was a kick ass production. A teacher I really admired told me I was one of the best young actresses she'd ever seen because even at 17, I could pull off senior citizens.

So if that's what I get, bring it. It's an awesome part, but frankly, I'd just be happy to get a part period. Truth be told, the director really impressed me and I'd love to work with her.

I've realized on the drive home that I spent a lot of years trying to get it perfect and what I probably ended up accomplishing was being inauthentic and unsure. This director was so insightful, and really knows how to give direction to get what she wants. I think I would gain so much from working from her.

And it would just be nice to be on a stage again.

3 comments:

The Brown Blogger said...

Well, I hope you get the role you coveted the most... And you will.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh that would fun! I hope you get the part but no matter what, yay you for auditioning! :)

Gallis said...

Aw shucks y'all....