Monday, May 19, 2008

Surfacing

Today was Victoria Day here in Canada [read: Long Weekend] and in an act of desperation or perhaps self-preservation, I requested and got, Friday off as a vacation day. As a result, I've had four good days of rest.

Spring has a death grip on our province. It's been rainy and cool for weeks now, but there's no snow so don't hear me complaining. This is probably the coldest Victoria Day Weekend I can remember, which was just as well because I spent most of it sleeping. As a result, this is the most human I've felt in about three weeks.

Yesterday was really the only day of consequence. The Marine and I went out to brunch at a really nice place on Roncesvalles Avenue in Toronto called the Freshwood Grill. The food is great, but they pack you in like sardines, and we had the misfortune of being sat next to a very loud talker of woman. The Marine was near demented by the end of our meal.

We also had torrential rain, but nonetheless, we ventured north to Brampton to check in on my parents house as they are away on a trip to Italy at the moment with the Dumbarton Mob Elders. Funny, my home town was always a place I thought I'd leave behind, but I'm always going there.

At any rate, prior to my folks house, we checked in at the Dollarama and Value Village Thrift Store. I don't think there's anything quite so uniquely depressing as hearing songs you loved as a kid while you're in a bargain store.

Eventually we arrived at my folks house. The Marine checked the sink traps for my Mother's wedding ring - she lost this a while ago unfortunately - and I picked up the mail, got a cup of tea, napped and then watered the plants.

After that, we went to the grocery store to stock up.

Please, at any time feel free to stop reading if the excitement of this accounting gets to be too much.

I have to admit that it was great to drop a lot of money on groceries. We haven't done that in ages. Then it was off to Walmart because I wanted to get the regular scented Vim scrub which of course they didn't have when they usually do. I got Vim gel all over my hand from a leaky container for my trouble.

Then we came home, made up the pizza we picked up and chilled.

This morning I slept in, got up, slept some more, got dinner and am now typing. Seems a bit of a write off of a weekend, but at least I'm somewhat well again, and I hope the relentlessness that is my new job doesn't knock me back off my feet.

I was going to audition for a show, but I've decided that deep down, I don't want to spend my summer Sundays in rehearsal thanks very much. Between my last show and new job, I feel like I just got out of purgatory. I want to get well, start working out again, lose weight and work on my book. Rehearsals [assuming I get cast in something] can wait until the fall.

As for my job, I'm essentially taking the experience for what it is, learning as much as I can, and making new friends. But essentially, I'm counting the days until the incumbent returns from mat leave.

No comments: