Friday, May 30, 2008

"It's Hedley, Not Hedy."

I was genuinely saddened to hear today about the death of Harvey Korman. I remember absolutely loving the Carol Burnett show and Korman was always my favourite performer. A couple of years ago, the Marine and I were flipping through channels and stumbled across a repeat of Blazing Saddles. We hadn't laughed that hard in ages and I remember watching it at a time when I felt pretty down about the state of my life in general. I looked up the address to send fan mail to, but never did write that letter to Mr. Korman. I really wish I had. I wish I had taken the time to tell him how much he had meant to me as a performer and how much I admired his work.

There was something else I learned about Harvey Korman today. Per the Toronto Star:

“For the next 13 years I tried to get on Broadway, on off-Broadway, under or beside Broadway,” he told a reporter in 1971.

He had no luck and had to support himself as a restaurant cashier. Finally, in desperation, he and a friend formed a nightclub comedy act.

“We were fired our first night in a club, between the first and second shows,” he recalled.

After returning to Chicago, Korman decided to try Hollywood, reasoning that “at least I’d feel warm and comfortable while I failed.”

For three years he sold cars and worked as a doorman at a movie theatre.

It was only then he got his break. Every time I get an inkling to quit, something always comes along to make me want to keep going. Thank you Harvey. Godspeed.

No comments: