Thursday, October 23, 2008

Schtuff

So, it's been interesting.

The last little while.

Came back from vacation to find out that a fellow employee was being deprived of their job. That went down a week ago. I'm now dealing with the fall out of that in that I'm completely on my own. My wonderful intern is in NYC on a school trip. Tellingly enough, despite the overload of work, it's really not bad at all. I actually know what's going on and can plan things, because I don't have to worry anymore about a somebody who may get engaged if they think it's a good idea. Some co-workers have asked me how I'm doing and I've replied, "really busy, but better." And they just smile knowingly and nod in understanding. I take solace from the fact that I'm not a voice in the wilderness on this one.

Dealing with the aftermath this past week or so, it's struck me as amazing, just amazing how some people can suck the life right out of you. I'm not talking about people just not clicking, the dynamics of a friendship changing or stopping altogether, integrating some one's difficult circumstance into your own life. No, I'm talking about chronic self-absorption, a narcissism on such a level that it's a black hole consuming all around it, a force so unto itself that it never occurs to the person that needs other than their own matter.

More on this later.

Had a good audition last week. Hopefully I'll get a call back. But you know, work is busy and I want to get on top of my writing and reading more, so no major tears if nothing comes of it. I do have a reading to do with the same company on Sunday. They apparently do a 24 hour writing festival every year and then an afternoon of readings. One of the ladies at the audition liked my audition and asked if I wanted to participate so I said sure and then got an email from a director. I like to keep busy and it helps my confidence to do these things. I'm really enjoying being in community theatre and I feel ashamed I was such a snob about it for so long. There's some really great work going on. Hell, I've seen shows that have been better than some other so called "professional" productions.

Have booked a meeting. More to come. I don't want to jinx anything so I'll keep quiet for now.

Also feel fully recovered and plan to hit the gym. AGAIN. The never ending story of never ending work outs that never really change anything. But I go. Cause it's good for me even if I'm not losing weight.

I suppose.

No comments: