Ended up getting a callback and did that Saturday. Seemed to go well but things are in the laps of the Gods at this point. There will be something else if this doesn't work out. I went to a series of readings yesterday at the same theatre company and participated in one as well. Ended up having to pinch hit at the last minute, reading the part of Raymond, the protagonist's gay Latino friend. Despite the cold [why is it that every community theatre in this city has NO heating whatsoever?] it was a very enjoyable afternoon with some great writing and performances.
I have to admit though that it was a bit exhausting. It was a tough week, then I had a Saturday of moving furniture at my folks house, then the call back, then readings yesterday. I was ready for my weekend to start at about 6 p.m. last night. But by the same token, I like keeping busy with things other than my day job. It helps me to feel I have a life of work I care about, even if it only asserts itself periodically.
And certainly, obtaining that feeling is a major accomplishment these days. I find myself once again in the early hours, typing away because I can't sleep. I couldn't tell you the last time I slept right through the night, from dark to light. It's literally been years.
And yet I get up, grab a quick look at my work calendar and it doesn't all seem as overwhelming as it did initially and I wonder why I felt stressed. I'm sure things will get better and no doubt the last while has been particular in its challenges. Fortunately, the fall out from the lay off has been minimal. Still, there was the odd icy glance at the last departmental meeting.
I can't worry about that. I simply have to respect the fact that some people did like my fellow employee. No doubt, however, they were presented with a very different side then I or my predeccessor encountered. Part of me really wants to sit them down and tell them how really really bad it was.
Corporate politics. Fun times.
Monday, October 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment