So here I am at work overseeing a live webcast we're doing tonight. I thought I should take the opportunity to update while the feed is pushing live. A few minutes to spare doncha know.
So my review - went well. Actually went better than well. My boss really likes my work and thinks I am and I must truly quote here "the missing piece of the puzzle" they have been waiting for.
But wait, as The Duke would say. It gets beddah.
Before I could even ask the question, my boss offered to pay so I could get my PMP (that's Project Management Professional) certification. That's $2500 at least y'all. I was absolutely ecstatic! I had made a deal with myself that if I was going to put off my degree studies for a year, then I would somehow, someway get some letters after my name so as not to lose ground. But how I was going to pull $2500 outta my whatsit?
But wait. It's gets beddah.
I got a raise! After three months! How cool is that! After years of being in the land of financial purgatory, finally some headway is made!
How novel it is to really just work your butt off and have it recognized. What a concept.
So after this review, I feel that my paranoia is starting to dissipate. Almost.
I'm realizing how truly scarred (for lack of a better term) I have been by my last employers, my most recent one being the coup de gras.
It's so funny how the simple things are so hard for some people. You know, things like treating people with respect, valuing the quality of human interaction, in short, not being a complete a*sehole. The dirty little secret of the corporate world is that the leaders aren't necessarily the ones who deserve to be there. Some people are there because they're driven by their own insecurity or need for power. And these people get to continue their petty tyrannies because either one: as long as the revenue targets get hit, no one cares or two: no one wants to admit they made a mistake hiring the person or three: a combination of one and two.
So here I am. I'm working so hard. My boss loves me. The General Manager tells me what great work I'm doing when I give her something. I know I'm making a real difference with a new division trying to find its legs. I'm kicking butt at this job.
And still....
This feeling every day....
Just expecting the pink slip, not counting on anything.
My new job seems too good to be true, to good to last.
I suppose you get so used to bracing for the hammer to fall, that you're genuinely surprised when you discover you have a helmet.
Tuesday, October 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Congrats girl! You deserve it. Three cheers for you. I think drinky-poos are in order.
a pang of proud hit me as i read this. you go girl! i think the best employees are the ones that aren't 100% sure of themselves, always looking for ways to improve. they are lucky to have you.
Post a Comment