Well, a quick note to let you all know that I'm still alive.
Last week, I was in the midst of project planning, which became even more labourious as the trees starting blooming in Toronto. It was as if every leaf and bloom opened up at once, buffeting my care worn sinuses with an onslaught of pollen it couldn't stand up against.
Compounded with this is the fact that I've recently gone through another of my "up periods". What I mean by this is that over the last few years, I've noticed that the rebounding of my energy is simply a preamble to the inevitable sickness that will follow. It's as if my immune system revs up, sees something it needs to deal with, and then does so - badly.
So given that my energy has been at all time high the past couple of months, this latest episode may have been inevitable. By Wednesday I was thoroughly congested and by Thursday I had next to no voice having had a day of meetings that were pretty much all mine, i.e. I couldn't just sit through them looking pretty. Heh! Friday I muddled on through, treating everyone at the office to my best Lauren Bacall impersonation.
The interesting thing was that I knew I was unwell but didn't "feel" sick. This time was different in that I was prepared for a miserable weekend. Instead, by Saturday my body was already going to town on whatever it was I had going on. I'll spare you the details, but the results of my coughing and nose blowing were indicative of the kind of infections that in the past have left me in bed for a week. Instead I was really just tired more than anything else. It was like I skipped the infection and got right down to recovery. Maybe my body was just housecleaning. Who the hell knows?
At any rate, I still felt wiped by yesterday and decided to take today off. It's a nice day out and having been cooped up all weekend, I was going to do some gardening out front. There's a patch at the side of our front garden overgrown with grass. My neighbour's niece, brought me round some beautiful plants from her garden to plant in mine. There's Irises, Forget Me Nots, Hostas - an absolute bonanza. But I reconsidered it, as I didn't think yanking grass and loosening and inhaling a bunch of dirt would be very helpful to me right now. Instead, I'm going to plant some shade flower seeds out front. Easy peasy. Then I'll sit in the back yard and get some sun on my bones. That's really all I'm up for.
For some reason, I want to have a good cry too. I'm not sure why, but I suppose I'm just a bit worn out after a busy week that ended with a weekend full of coughing and spluttering. And perhaps, I'm just trying not to get ahead of myself or be too hopeful. Energywise I'm usually good for a week, and then run ragged for two months. This time it was the exact opposite. I can't help but think that all my vitamins, pilates, osteopathy and cranial sacral therapy are all starting to kick in.
Which leads me to think that maybe I've started to turn back the tide of the last 13 years. And wouldn't that be a treat?
Monday, May 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment