Walking around a plus size clothing store and hearing the dulcet tones of Michael Buble is, I have discovered, its own particular kind of hell. I’ve always had good luck at these stores, but this year the pickings are decidedly slim. I got my tax refund just in time to have absolutely nothing in terms of clothing selection to purchase. And I’m borderline right now in that a size 16 in regular stores doesn’t quite fit just yet. I am so tantalizingly close, and yet so far.
My run of bad luck started a couple of weeks ago when I went upstairs at Sears to do some after work shopping. I had a major score, soon to be outlined in Friends, Roman’s exclusive series, Great Moments in Bargain History, but otherwise the evening was a bust.
Despite repeated signage imparting the info that Capris are “in” for summer, I gained essentially nothing other than an ever greater desire to free myself from the shackles of plus size clothing forever. There is so much to hate.
First of all, can we mention the essentially patronizing aspect of plus size sections? They always have dumb names like “Diva” or “Siren”. I can’t think of anything more polar opposite to being a size 16 or bigger then the concept of a diva or a siren. In the mainstream perception, I would wager that a diva is past her due date chubby opera star and a plus size siren kills the sailor only after she’s checked if he brought any take out with him.
So in short, it’s thoroughly lame. I know I’m not a normal size. Giving me some whimsical, female centric name for my clothing section won’t make that change or make me feel better. Then again, being realistic isn’t really an option for retailers either. I can’t see plus size women storming the “Happy Fatty” or “Chubberific” sections of a department store.
Then there is the selection itself. Hey, if you love polyester, loud prints and peach is your all time favourite colour, then truly the plus size shopping experience is for you. Otherwise, run for your life. It truly beggared belief Dear Reader, the stitched and hemmed horror of non-style that I experienced.
I have been going through a not so great time lately, mainly because I am just worn out by work, by trying to do too much and feeling that I am expending my energy on things other than the purpose for which I am here.
I mentioned before that I am trying to focus on getting myself in a better place physically this year, but it’s been really really hard. I won’t lie, trying to lose weight sucks. It takes a lot of planning, inner reflection and discipline. I have these things, just not all at the same time.
On the upswing, I did sign up for a membership at the snazzy new Good Life club that will be opening up in our neighbourhood in September. In the meantime, I’ll just hit the treadmill at our local recreation centre or walk around the park.
It’s better than nothing.
Wednesday, June 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
When's vacation?
Post a Comment