Don’t know about you, but I had one of the best weekends I’ve had in quite some time.
Saturday, I did a quick gardening session in the horticultural disaster that is my front garden, had some tea and toast and then overwhelmed by the effort of all of the aforementioned, had to have a three hour nap.
I then met my friend “Vivienne Leigh” who played Mrs. Graves in Enchanted April for an evening of dinner and "thee-ay-tah!" We went to go see East Side Players productions of After You.
East Side Players do their productions out of The Papermill Theatre at Todmorden Mills. It’s an absolutely beautiful facility, consisting of restore mill buildings nestled in the Don Valley. You feel right in the middle of the country, even though you’re in the city. The theatre is very modern and comfortable and there’s a beautiful art gallery for you to wander around before the show and at intermission. If you get a chance to see a show or go there for any other reason, I would highly recommend it.
As for the show itself, it was top notch and I enjoyed it immensely. It’s the story of Jean and Adele, two elderly cousins, who are at their northern Ontario cottage in 1998. Adele is dying, and Jean who is herself riddled with cancer, is caring for her. At the same time, you see Jean and Adele as young women, 60 years previously, when events and decisions changed the course of their respective lives forever.
The play utilizes the intriguing dramatic device of having all four actresses not only act with their contemporary, but with their older/younger selves as well. At times the entire ensemble is in the same scene, including Paul, the object of their mutual affection.
Yes, ultimately it’s always about a boy isn’t it?
Afterwards, I dropped Vivienne off, who I’ll be joining once again at the Arts & Letters Club [my new favourite place] for an evening of one act plays later in the month. Ah the art, the food, the Harry Potter fireplace. What’s not to love?
Sunday I ventured out to do some shopping. It was one of those “have credit card, will travel” kind of days. I just had to spend some money on myself. Somewhat annoyingly, however, my first stop was at Theatre Books. I’d placed an order for plays well over a week ago and the order went AWOL. They left me a message later but personally, I think it was just an oversight. I know I should have called when I wasn’t seeing the charge go through on my VISA. At any rate, it’s all resolved now.
Then I went to the Bay to get some skincare stuff and cases for my sunglasses, since I am near demented trying to ensure they don’t get smushed all the time. I was contemplating getting some summer sandals, but then thought, well I can hang on a little longer. It was then that the right heel of my sandal decided to come off. Like right off. I took this as a sign from the gods and proceeding upstairs to the shoe department.
Where there was a sale!!!
So I ended up getting three pairs of new shoes; a light black pair for work during the summer, casual sketchers and some sandals. Oh the joy of comfortable foot wear Romanship! Here is a view of the shoes, for which Chudleigh graciously agreed to interrupt his nap.

I then proceeded to Brampton to see my folks. I stopped in at Lowes and drooled over the bbq I’ve been coveting, then got a new garden hose. It was while I was at Lowes taking pictures of potential paving stones for the garden that the heel of my left sandal came off.
I then got to my folks and partook of some fantastic dinner and pictures of their trip to Italy. Here's what my sandals looked like by the time I got there. Oy! Da carnage!

Maybe it’s my Vitamin D levels getting back to normal. Maybe it’s the summer weather kicking in. Maybe it was buying myself some nice stuff. Whatever it was, I felt lighter and happier than I had in a long time and am actually looking forward to summer.
I know! Me!
1 comment:
I really like your shoes collection and that cat also.
Post a Comment