Sunday, April 05, 2009

Still Truckin'

"Can't act. Slightly bald. Dances." - Studio executive's notes on Fred Astaire's screen test.

This past week was tough, an absolute gauntlet run of meetings and documents, phone calls and emails. It was one of those weeks where I just wished I could be left alone. Fortunately I didn't have too much on the schedule this weekend. I had a nice visit with the folks and Rosy yesterday [along with a Little House on the Prairie marathon] and I've been able to decompress a bit.

On the downside, I've been rejected by two agents so far. On the upside, it's not because they aren't taking me seriously. It's been because I'm either not union or they already have someone like me on their roster. It's funny. As an actor, you like to think you're really unique and have something special to offer. Agents don't see you that way. They're always drilling down to "type".

I'm hampered this way in that I really just want to focus on voice work for now. I don't think I'm going to be cast for any TV work given my current weight. That is slowly but surely resolving itself as an issue, but given my head space right now, frankly I just enjoy voice work a helluva lot more. From what I've heard, going union via just voice work is going to be nigh on impossible, so I'm not quite sure what I do at this point or where I go from here.

I'm just trying to focus on what I can control, because if I don't I'll just end up getting discouraged and depressed. I can control when I work out. I can control how many applications I send out to agencies. I can control if I follow up. I can control if I keep trying or just give in to disappointment. I fundamentally believe I'm meant to be doing this, so I'd rather keep trying rather than give up and hold down an office job the next 30 years. I just need to make the best of what I've got to work with.

The Marine told me to keep the rejection emails. He thinks people will find them funny one day.

1 comment:

sassymonkey said...

They say a good writer should have enough rejection letters to wallpaper a bathroom. I would expect no less from other artists. ;-)