Monday, September 25, 2006

Go Tell It On The Mountain

Well at long last, I have finally decided to get baptised. I'm not exactly sure what has brought this on, but I am going through a period of spiritual hunger right now, and I'm exploring a number of different things including Buddhism, past lives, and Chritianity. Christianity is the one that resonates the most with me, although I believe in my Aunt Jean's philosophy that there are many paths to the same place.

So, the big dip is in January. Until then, I have to attend four Christianity 101 classes at my church, which is St. Paul's in Toronto. I sang in the choir there for a bit and really enjoyed it. It has a very welcoming feeling to it and a congregation of people from diverse backgrounds, so it seems like the most logical place to be brought into the fold as it were.

I guess most of all, it just feels like I'm closing an important loop. My mother is very happy about this. She always regrets not having my sister and I baptised. (Myrtle already is as my niece couldn't be baptised until she was.) My father, who is not religious, didn't see the point when we were babies. My mother wasn't hard and fast about it either, but over the years, it began to eat away at her, as if she had neglected an important aspect of our spiritual housekeeping. She told me last night that it would be good for my soul.

Even Ragdoll, who is not exactly Maria singin' in the Alps, told me it was a good thing to do. Heh!

And on another positive note, and it's just a gut feel here folks, I think I'm going to have some stories from 101 class to share.

Can I get an "Amen!".

1 comment:

The Brown Blogger said...

Amen.

I find myself getting deeper on that continuous quest to get closer to the creator.

I'm not going to choose a particular faith because I feel like your aunt was right about the many paths.

I first must take a DNA test to see where my people came from and then after completing my family history here in the states, i'll try yo link them up when I get to Africa next year.

I think that'll help.