"Don't drink? Don't smoke? What do you do?" - Goodie Two Shoes, Adam Ant
Late today I was surfing through i-Tunes and stumbled across a 1983 I-mix collection. It had a song by Adam Ant and I had one of those "What the heck is HE doing these days?" moments.
I recalled that in 2002, he had quite a breakdown of sorts and the pictures I saw of him broke my heart. He was bloated, tired and dead-eyed, looking nothing like his early 80's new romantic answer to a bodice ripping highwayman.
But oh how the phoenix doth rise from its ashes.
I checked out his official site, which coincidentally I had not visited since reading about his breakdown. Apparently in 2006, Adam wrote a book entitled Stand and Deliver. [You gotta love that title]. It's his autobiography and is also accompanied by a companion DVD. The Sunday Mail did some quite extensive coverage that you can check out here and here. Although I haven't gotten into this in any real detail, I did gather that Adam has been battling depression for a very long time, bi-polar disorder in particular. But I found this recent quote from Adam rather heartening:
"I am also looking forward to making music again. There was a time when I thought that was all finished. Now I know there is some great music still in me"
I suppose we all have moments like that, where we think there is nothing left. Most times, we're pleasantly surprised to find we're wrong, that our perspective on things has been temporarily skewed so much that we ascribe credibility only to what surrounds us and we view ourselves with utter ignorance.
In some shape or form, you can always make a come back. I'd do well to remind myself of that most days.
Good on ya Adam. I hope you find the music again.
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY
Post a Comment