To everything,
Purge, purge, purge,
There is a season,
Purge, purge, purge.
I once had a reading with a psychic who said “If it won’t matter in ten years, don’t worry about it.”
For me, that’s easier said than done.
I really try to see the positive in things. I really do. But sometimes, life just wears you the fuck out. I’ve been told some positive changes are coming down the line at my job. I really hope so, cause with everything else I have going on, it’s a major fucking drag walking in everyday feeling like an after thought. Again, will it matter in ten years? No. Does it matter now? Boy howdy.
Sing it with me y’all: It’s not right, but it’s ok. I’m gonna make it anyway…
On the upswing, I’ve been on a major clutter busting campaign as of late. This is major for me because I’m one of those people who gets attached to things. I nearly had a nervous breakdown seven years ago after throwing out an old couch fer chrissakes.
A couple of weeks ago we started clearing out the basement and I haven’t looked back. Suddenly all those attachments that seemed unbreakable are non-existent. I’m finding all sorts of stuff that we just don’t use anymore and it’s actually feeling good to get it out of the way. In addition, I sold our reel lawn mower for $75 bucks! The fellow who bought it was so pleased with it and it had just been sitting in our basement doing nothing because our lawn is too lumpy to use it. It felt so good to know that it’s actually going to get used by somebody who appreciates it.
So far I haven’t sold my Alpine car stereo yet, but I’m hopeful. In six years the technology has become redundant and I can’t install it in my Forester. Of course, I get an email from some tool saying there are other ones for the same price with mp3 players. Oh and he’ll give me $30. Whatever. I’m hopeful I’ll get my price and if not, back to the drawing board. But if my price of $75 is so off, I wonder why they’re new on ebay for $150. Huh?
Tool.
But I do have some sense that this is an important step. I have to clear things off my slate and start fresh. I just have this sense that a while back, my life seemed mapped out for me and I haven't been able to adapt well to the fact that sometimes things don't go to plan. Now the future is open, and there's no use holding on to the past. In a way, all this stuff I haven't bothered to look at and deal with until now has been weighing me down.
So between my wheeling and dealing and general purging, we should be lean and mean in no time.
I can’t say the same for my ass, but Ragdoll and I have agreed to be buds on our new regime. I feel for her. She can no longer partake of nuts and lemme tell ya, that girl loves her some nuts.
For the record, I am of course referring to macadamias.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Congrats. Not on the purging, but on the decisions to keep things gone. And making room for newer stuff.
What clicked that made you feel the need to keep old stuff old ... And gone?
Interesting questions. I dunno yet. I've thought about it. But the only way I can explain it is that something has "clicked" the last few months. I feel less burdened internally despite things that are going on in my external world. I think hanging on to things was an attempt to maintain a sense of control and what dawned on me is that the more I kept [and I don't have a lot to begin with] the more clutter it created, particularly mentally and thus, the less control I felt.
Then there was the practicality of just needing to get our basement organized and when I started looking at the stuff to deal with, it just didn't have the same resonance. What was really personal, and precious and worth keeping was far more obvious to me.
I think I felt that if I gave up these old things from an old time, I was giving up my dreams. What I've realized is that the dreams haven't changed. But how I'll get there is different from what I envisioned and that I obviously needed to work through some issues before I could get there. It made the old items redundant.
And reading bloggers like yourself Hassan has also helped tremendously.
Me?
Nah.
Post a Comment