I have to admit it. I hit the wall this morning.
The decline started yesterday. I just felt completely demoralized and frankly, over worked. My mind is a runaway train these days. Too much to do and not enough time to get it done. Every day I cut bait. Every day I settle for a substandard outcome. Right now, I simply aim for what is accomplishable. It won’t last forever. It never does. And perspective is everything. I could be in Haiti.
But ah yesterday. Yesterday was a nag. I was tired and strung out. At one point I thought a major project had gone off the rails and then a new minor one landed on my plate. There was too much pressing on my brain.
So I arrived for my work out this morning coming out of my second night of sleeping badly. I hadn’t done cardio the day before. I think it would have damn near killed me.
In the midst of trying to get everything done, I had spent the better part of yesterday morning at the dentist. I was getting evaluated for orthodontics of some kind because the hygienist at my previous check up had noticed I had ridges on the outside of my tongue. Apparently, this is typically a sign that the tongue doesn’t have enough room to sit properly and that it is pressing too hard against the sides of the teeth. The evaluation yesterday showed that not only are there are a number of issues with the structure of my jaw, and that I may also have sleep apnea.
So Monday I go back to the dentist for about an hour and a half of additional in depth tests. Then I’m back in two weeks to get the definitive recommendation on what could be done. And this means I have to do my workout with Debbie after work, which won’t be too bad.
This morning was tough but I had some great moments too. For example, I hit the treadmill and was able to get to my target heart rate much more quickly. I also noticed that my calf muscles didn’t hurt anywhere near as much. For nearly full on 15 minutes I kept up the pace.
Then we went to do weights. Today was going to be a legs and core day. After my first two sets, I suddenly felt a wave of nausea. Any strength I had just left me. Debbie stopped me and got me walking around slowly and drinking water.
“Have you been eating?”
“Yes.”
“How’s your sleep been lately?”
“Terrible.”
“Ah. Ok.”
So Debbie recalibrated my routine so it was less intense. I walked out feeling like I’d still gotten some benefit, but I was glad to be done.
Clearly I’d had enough this week, but here’s the thing. I’ve made more progress in a week than I typically would make on my own. I feel tired, but better. I feel strength starting to creep back into my bones and frankly, it's been a long time since I felt that way. I’m not necessarily interested in treating myself with kit gloves. I want to get going. I’ve had to wait too long for this.
So here’s to an easy weekend of good food, good rest, a massage and Twilight with Ragdoll on Sunday. Woot! Woot!
Weekly Progress:
Workout song obsession: Black Sweat – Prince
15 min mile pace: 3.5
Jar Opening Propensity: Easier
prince - black sweat
by eikichi
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment