Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Is It March Yet?

There's a certain Slant of light,
Winter Afternoons--
That opresses, like the Heft
Of Cathedral Tunes--

Heavenly Hurt, it gives us--
We can find no scar,
But internal difference,
Where the meanings are--

None may teach it--Any--
'Tis the Seal Despair--
An imperial affliction
Sent us of the Air--

When it comes, the Landscape listens--
Shadows--hold their breath--
When it goes, 'tis like the Distance
On the look of Death--

-- Emily Dickinson

"Over the winter glaciers I see the summer glow;
And through the wild-piled snowdrift the warm rosebuds below"

-- Ralph Waldo Emmerson


Up early.

I'm beginning to wonder how I'm going to get through the next month. The lack of light is really getting to me this year and it seems these days at work that I barely get an eighth, if anything, done of what I'd like to.

I get some television in, but I'm too exhausted to read anything which is vexing. Right now, the highlights of my weeks are my workouts and being at home with the Marine. It's during times like this I'm most grateful for friends, family and home comforts.

I'm also trying to get into the holiday spirit a bit more this year and perhaps go to some events around the city. I was hoping Ragdoll and I could go to the Swedish Christmas Festival at Harbourfront, but it's over already. At any rate, I'm going to do some research and find some things to do because I always feel as if the season sneaks up on me. I don't like that.

My workouts continue to go well. I'm definitely getting stronger, but there's still no real shift in weight after a first week loss of a few pounds. I know for sure I'm getting stronger and I feel better. Still, dropping a few dress sizes would be nice too. I just need to be patient.

1 comment:

Lola Gets said...

I know that getting some extra light is a big part of this, but have you tried taking vitamin D? I have before, I dont know if it helped or not, but Im about to go get me some more, cause I am seriously, seriously down! lol

L