Monday, December 22, 2008

Thank You Very Much

Caught some good holiday movies over the weekend and came across this little gem I was unaware of: Scrooge: The Musical.

I have to admit that the prospect of a musical version of A Christmas Carol sent shivers down my spine. What a pleasant surprise this movie was. It's absolutely delightful with a then 34 year old Albert Finney playing both the young and old versions of Scrooge. Made in 1970, the production value is such that it could have been shot yesterday.

A song that's stuck in my head from this movie [and they're all rather good] is one called Thank You Very Much. It's a show stopping ensemble piece that I'd put on a par with Oom Pah Pah from Oliver! The song takes place during Scrooge's visitation by the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come. Unbeknownst to him, what the crowd is extremely thankful for is the death of Ebenezer and therefore, the payment of their debts to him. I defy you to hear this and not have it in your head for days.

No comments: