Friday, December 05, 2008

Progress

"Everyday is a winding road,
I get a little bit closer." ---- Sheryl Crow

What a strange week it was.

On Tuesday, I ended up getting a last minute appointment to go see the sleep specialist my dentist had referred me to and three hours later I was leaving the hospital. I had to fill in a 20+ page questionnaire and answer all this questions on the part of the intake physician as it was a training hospital. There were a lot of questions related to my emotional state, which ironically enough, made me a bit depressed.

At the end of it all, I then had to meet with the sleep specialist himself. He struck me as one of those English eccentrics. His office looks like a bomb hit it and yet you know the man is fundamentally brilliant. He basically called my sitch in one.

“It would seem that versus a full blown depression or fatigue issue, that you have these issues on a much smaller scale and that they would vastly improve as your sleep improved.”

WORD to that La Medicin.

So next Thursday night, I have to get hooked up with all this equipment and they’ll monitor my sleep. Needless to say, I am absolutely mortified at the prospect of complete strangers observing my nocturnal wailings and nashings. But if it helps me sleep better, so be it. Then I have to take Friday off work to do a day sleep test, where they actually schedule – wait for it – naps, to see if I’m able to sleep. This apparently tests my levels of sleep deprivation as well. So I try to take 4 naps during the day, and then go to my workout to that evening. Yeah I know, life is rough.

The work gauntlet continues. I’ll finally be able to interview replacements for my former employee next week sometime. I had to delay it this week to interview some interns. I remember being an early twenty something. But these young’uns seem so much more sure of themselves and their direction. I love their enthusiasm. Perhaps I’m too hard on myself. Still, I remember those years and I’m a bit nostalgic for them in some respects. But I like where I am in my life, with a lot more well earned self knowledge to call upon. I hope I can give them a good opportunity here.

Workouts continue unabated. My relentlessness has surprised even me. I actually look forward to my workouts now, something I thought would never happen. I am a living testimony to the addictive power of endorphins. And the good news is that I’ve hit the magical three week mark, and not only am I not sick, I actually feel better than I usually do.

Working out is giving me a sense of purpose right now. I know I’ll always feel better for having worked out and I like going through my week and finding that things that used to be physically difficult aren’t as hard to do anymore. I have a sense that every workout is getting me that much closer to my goals and I'm beginning to feel more at home in my own body.

Workout Song Obsession: Superstar, Jamelia
15 min mile pace: 3.5
Jar Opening Propensity: A doddle by the way.

1 comment:

Lola Gets said...

Hey Zesty! Glad to see youre still around! Ill be honest, Im feeling similarly to you, and Im looking for ways to get out of my funk. Excercise is on that list, but...lol.

L