Monday, September 12, 2005

This Magic Moment

I've had a few interesting encounters over the last few days, little snippets of delight that I've encountered purely by happenstance.

The first was late last week as I walked around the front of my garden to look at the wildflowers in front. They had seeded there by themselves and I was contemplating moving them elsewhere in the garden. But as I came around to where the flowers were, I discovered, two completely different flowers had also appeared, one purple and one a vibrant yellow. Have never seen them before in my life.

Then yesterday I was looking out the window of my bathroom. I do this often because the street on the east side of my house looks very Coronation Street. I try to imagine the neighbourhood when it was cobblestone streets and brick houses, not the insul-brick and siding hell it is slowly beginning to emerge from. So there I was, looking out when one of the biggest monarch butterflies I have ever seen fluttered right by, lingering for just a moment a mere foot from the window. Then it whirled away, swept around the corner and up the other backyards in a turbine of wind.

Today I was in the bathroom at work. I went to the stall at the end because it has a window and is a little roomier. I have this thing for views, and this one is stellar, even if it is from a loo. It looks eastward towards downtown Toronto and you can see the spiky spine of the core trail up north. So I open the window and bham! a HUGE spider's web directly in front of it with the very center right at my eye level. Amazing.

I wonder why I haven't noticed any of these things before? Were they always there? It's like getting an unexpected present every once in a while.

Then again, my mother maintains I've always been easily amused. You know what? I'll take it.

1 comment:

indigo herself said...

sweet! i think happiness is in the details really. we should get together soon, for a last gasp at patio season.