Sunday, June 25, 2006

Great Moments In Bargain History

Friends, Romans is proud to present another installment of its exclusive series:

GREAT MOMENTS IN BARGAIN HISTORY

We're currently in the process of getting our new mortgage set up, and as we are rolling in some extra dough to faciliate some work on the house and we're changing lenders, we need to get a formal appraisal. It shouldn't be a problem, but me being me, I want to try and get our place looking as good as our place can at present.

We've removed most of the white trash stonehenge from our driveway. And I had made it personal project to take the garden up a notch this summer, as I had made such good progress last year. The appraisal has just moved up my schedule of tasks.

Along the east side of our house, there are a couple of plots by the window wells. I had planted annuals in them last year, but they did so-so as the quality of the soil is terrible. Given we're between pay cheques at the moment, I decided to be frugal and just get some compost and top soil. I'd let that sit a week and then do some planting.

So I'm at Dominion to pick up my perscription yesterday and I see the little makeshift garden centre they have in the parking lot. I decide to check in there to see what they have in the way of compost and soil. As I approach, I see the six words that are dear to the heart of every bargain hunter:

BLOW OUT SALE. EVERYTHING MUST GO.

I lost no time Dear Reader.

When it was all over I had:

4 25 litre bags of compost
5 25 litre bags of top soil
2 full sized shrub roses
1 full sized white peony
2 miniature roses
1 lavender plant
1 fern plant
4 lilies [2 yellow, 2 bright pink]
2 flats of annuals [approximately 24 plants all told]
1 other perennial I can't remember the name of.

And the price including taxes? $78 smackeroos!

HUZAH!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gardening are we?lolHay not bad for a days sale...lol
Not bad!

The Brown Blogger said...

SING WITH ME!:


"If you wanna ride... ride the white pony"

What THE HELL if with the white pony?

Full size at that...

Gallis said...

I'll try and get some pics if I can. And Hassan? Y'all are crazy.