So on Sunday, I went to my friend Berry's (heh! that's my car's name!) baby shower. Her baby is due in late December, which is hilarious because she always maintained that she would time things in such a way that her kid wouldn't get a double dip on presents, i.e. birthday and Christmas so close together.
Is that God I hear laughing?
Anyway, I was looking forward to the shower because when Berry or her family through a do, you know the food is going to be great. They always go to such trouble to make people feel at home. So I'm on my way to Berry's sister's house when I see Berry. So I ask if she wants a ride in The Egg (our Toyota Corolla rental) and she says that her sister's house is right there and she's not supposed to know about the shower anyway, so she was just going to work on being surprised. Hilarious.
Now I have to admit that as much of a girlie girl as I can be, I find events like showers to be an exercise in estrogen overload. Or maybe, it's just that I don't relate well to the other women or don't feel I do. I mean, I love kids and I think life would truly be unbearable without them, but I just don't know if motherhood is for me. So when I'm at baby showers and the topic du jour is motherhood [as it should be] I find I just can't relate to the conversation.
And then there's the breast feeding. I always get a little freaked out by this and I don't know why. I mean, I have breasts. If I had a kid, I'd prefer to breast feed. But then I see another woman doing it and it's like "Oh my God! A naked tit! And this isn't a movie!
Maybe it's just me.
Berry got a really good selection of presents. Sometimes new moms can get overloaded with booties or toys or pajamas. But she got a really good selection of everything to help her get started. I didn't realize the receiving blankets I got were so pink. It was subconscious I suppose but I really am betting on a girl. Gut feel here folks - no pun intended. Berry's sister's mother-in-law thinks it will be a girl too, but her method is more scientifically based. She thinks is a girl because Berry's ass has still stayed flat.
I then had another interesting conversation with aforementioned sister's mother in law and her daughter. They used to live in my neighbourhood in the 1960's, close to Bloor Street. Turns out their house - their whole neighbourhood actually - was torn down to make way for Brockton Highschool. Unbelievable. You know, as much as I hate NIMBYism it's better than the alternative, which is developers going in and building whatever they damn well please. It breaks my heart to think what Parkdale would be today had some of its former architectural glories been preserved. Then I talked to the daughter and her daughter about New York as they are planning a trip there next summer. I didn't realize I had so many funny stories from my time there until I told to them.
Then I offered to drive Berry's mother home as she lives close by me. Then Berry's sister in law came out to me and said that her mother had just said, "Do you think Zesty will drop me off at the house? Because it would be no trouble for her to walk from the corner." I then said I'd actually be dropping her off four blocks away on principle for asking such a ridiculous question.
We got into a good conversation on the way home. Berry's mom likes to travel so I was asking her if she had any adventures planned. One of her sons is in Edmonton, so she said she like to go see the dinosaur bones out there next time she visits him. Then we pondered what would be left of the streets we were driving through in a million years. We came to the conclusion that archeologists will analyze our by then ancient middens and think "Yikes!"
Wednesday, November 23, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment