Sunday, November 27, 2005

Everything is Automatic

I'm exhausted.

Yesterday, my folks were kind enough to drive me up to Orillia to pick up my new car. I had been in a state of combined excitement and disbelief all week long. But once we got up there, it started to sink in that I was actually going to be driving a different car from now on, and a manual one at that.

After I had signed my life away, the car was officially mine. The salesman went through all the features with me and then my folks got in as they wanted a spin. They were very impressed and thought the car was very nice.

I'm not sure if it was beginner's luck, but learning manual with the Guru and then test driving the car last weekend were a lot easier. Perhaps it was my Doc Martens. Perhaps it was the cardboard mat stuck in the clutch and brakes. Perhaps, I was just nervous with my folks being there. Perhaps I was nervous because Berry was actually mine now. Whatever it was, I stalled. A lot. It was really quite embarrassing and frankly shook my confidence quite a bit.

I must commend the good citizens of Orillia. They really are a very patient bunch. Unlike Toronto, no one was wailing on their horn if I stalled (sometimes twice) and that at least made up for things.

We made the decision that we would drive back and stop just south of Barrie at the rest station. My Dad rode with me and my Mum followed in their car. I did ok, particularly on the highway, but I must admit that I was completely relieved when my Dad offered to take the car home. By this time, my nerves were well and truly shot.

The good thing about it was that my Dad gave me some pointers as he was driving. My Dad is truly a master of manual transmission and it was quite something to behold. Funnily enough, driving my car was the first time he had ever driven a manual in Canada. He said it's like riding a bike and I just needed to get used to it. Funny, I thought I pretty much had it figured out.

Later in the afternoon, I just had to go to bed and get a nap. It was as if everything caught up with me; a busy work week, hemmorhaging cash for the rental, anticipating getting the car, finally having my own wheels again after about three weeks without.

Early this morning was the first in about two weeks that I woke up too early. I was probably still wired. Later, the Marine and I went to the parking lot that the Guru had taught me in. Of course, given the fact that the Marine had driven a motorbike for over 20 years, he pretty much picked it up like that. I also practiced going into first. A lot. It's amazing the difference a pair of shoes makes. I wore my sneakers this time.

So of course, I must now abandon my Docs and find suitable winter foot wear, since as unfashionable as I can be, I draw the line at sneakers and jeans. Seriously.

So after buzzing around a bit, I felt like I had gotten my groove back. But it's still not second nature to me yet, and I'm used to having a very high competence level in terms of my driving. Instead, I'm having to get used to not only paying attention to the road, but paying attention to the car too. But I forged on, even heading up this afternoon to Yonge and Eggy to see the Duke and driving him around the area. He said I was doing great. I just liked all the stop signs. It was good practice.

Although, now I know what manual drivers mean when they say a traffic jam is a bitch. I was literally just floating in first for about five minutes on Yonge, trying to get to a street to turn left onto.

Then came the next test. I drove the Duke home and then drove to get some groceries, in the dark. So I was really and truly driving by feel.

So I have returned home, rather frazzled, but feeling quite good about things. Ultimately, I think it will be a good decision in terms of wear and tear and mileage. And manual is fun to drive. But I seem to be really going through the gas, probably because I am not driving the car as efficiently as I could. Then again, it is technically an SUV so it serves me right. Then again, I'm going to run this car into the ground too, so why not have something I like and that works for my lifestyle?

I figure this will all work itself out. One good road trip in the country will probably make it all worthwhile. But in the meantime, it's made me exhausted and grumpy.

Yeah I know. I'm sure you all feel REALLY sorry for me.

No comments: