Thursday, December 07, 2006

Things That Go FAWUMP!! In The Night

Last Saturday was extremely windy. Our whole house was shaking. I was downstairs reading when I heard what could accurately be described as a cafuffle.

There was a whistling wind, an "EEEEESH!" sound, followed by a decided "FAWUMP!".

Then nothing.

I decided to go out and investigate as we have a very large tree in our front yard.


This tree is probably 150 years old, probably 200, and it was one of the things that sold the house when we looked at it. There's just something so nice about having a tree. I like the fact that this tree has been here a long time, in fact, probably before the neighbourhood itself even got established

It makes me wonder what this place looked like before the city began its stealthy creep west. Was this tree here? If so, why was it kept? Was it planted when the house was built? Maybe it's not so old after all. But one thing's for sure: it's pretty damn tall.


So it stood to reason that the sounds I'd heard had something to do with the tree.

Oh.Hell.Yeah.

Here is the hole in my porch roof.


I have no idea if it was ripped back by the wind or if it was hit by the branch the wind took off the tree.


This is a BIG branch, easily four feet in length and the bark that was sheered off was about a foot wide, maybe a foot and a half. The FAWUMP! I heard was the branch embedding itself in my neighbour's front yard. It was standing upright and I had to use all my newfound pilates strength to yank it out of the ground.

This was only about 4 feet away from my house's front windows and the porch. It could have been a lot worse, that's for sure.

No comments: