Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Sizzlin'

Goin’ crazaaaaay,
Goin’ crazaaaaay,
Ooooooooooooooooooooohhhh
From the heat." --
David Lee Roth

This time of year, I feel exactly the same way I do around the first week of March, but instead of begging for some respite from biting winds and ice, my overheated brain wants nothing more than for the cool breezes of fall to blow away the sun smeared toxic fog that hangs over this city like grey wisteria.

I always think I’ll feel differently, that somehow because the environmental trials are heat induced it’s somehow different. It never is. I come to the inevitable conclusion that I hate the extreme heat as much as the extreme cold and I can’t wait until it’s over. Part of me just likes sweaters and early darkness and the enforced calm that winter brings to city living.

But hey, ask me how I feel about that in March.

The last while has felt incredibly lonely. The heat has been unrelenting, my mum was in hospital, Ragdoll was at a work conference, the Duke and I found it hard to connect and the Marine was comatose most nights with having to adapt to his new courier gig.

I feel as if something inside got hollowed out and squished somewhere.

And can we talk about the crazy ass dreaming?

Sunday night I had this crazy dream that had two components. The first was my cat Tweaks, who I don’t have in real life but that I did have in this dream. He’s a long haired ginger cat in case you’re curious. Anyway, in this dream I realize that Tweaks has gone missing and in fact has been missing for quite some time, so I’m frantic.

While looking for Tweaks the Marine and I are in our house that is not our house in real life but is a condo that looks over Lake Ontario. We can hear the rides of the Canadian National Exhibition whirring away and the screams of the riders. In the dream we can see some of the rides just east of us, when in reality the CNE would be in the west.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, there is a Ferris wheel ride that all of a sudden flies off its hinges, sails into the air and lands right in front of us on the lake. Of course, pandemonium ensues and the Ferris wheel ride looks like a mangled bicycle wheel in a puddle. And while all this is going on, I’m more worried about Tweaks.

The Marine told me yesterday about a dream he had Sunday night too. He was an old man and was living in the Caribbean and taking tourists on catamaran excursions.

“Were you happy?” I asked.

“Very.” He replied.

“Was I with you?”

“Yes” said the Marine. “You were on the beach running the deli.”

Which just proves my point that sometimes, life is baloney.

1 comment:

Deanna McFadden said...

Well, you know me, I feel the exact opposite about the heat -- bring it on. I'm loving it although a couple days last week were too much even for me. Thank gosh for the cottage. Wow, was the lake ever amazing this weekend.