Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Lucky Star...Not

I have to admit I feel rather conflicted after hearing about Madonna's riding accident.

First of all, I LOVE Madonna. Always have. I'm sorry to hear she fell off her horse and broke bones. Why the media hysteria? Some reports I've seen from Britain, Sky News in particular, were treating the story like it was a siesmic world event.

Huh?

She fell off a horse.

A brand new horse. Do you know how much horses cost?

Oh yeah. While riding around on her English country estate.

But then this got me thinking, which I am inclined to do on occassion. Why do I dismiss her pain? Essentially that's what I'm doing isn't it? She's rich and materially comfortable, ergo her pain doesn't count.

I take it back. Forgive me for thinking out loud on a blog. I think what's bothered me about this is the time spent covering something that's essentially benign. Madonna fell. She broke bones. She'll recover swimmingly.

(Trust me on this one. Her comeback after the Erotica era was second only to Christ's resurrection.)

But I digress. Why the hoopla? Why should I care? I'm sorry it happened, but my life's going on. Why are stories like this treated on a par with oil spills and hurricanes and Parliamentary tomfoolery?

I don't get it. But for the record, I hope Madonna gets well soon. Birthday bone breakage is a serious bummer.

No comments: