It's about 3:50 a.m. and I can't sleep. The Marine must of crashed on the couch because he woke me up getting into bed, which is very unlike him. I must of been in a light sleep. Funny, I was just thinking to myself in the evening how grateful I was to my naturopath because I'm finally out of that whole "Bing! You're wide awake and it's 4 a.m.!" thing.
At any rate, I know that if I just lie in bed my mind starts spinning. It's always better for me to just get up and go back to bed when I'm tired again. That usually takes about an hour or so, thus here I am Dear Reader.
It was quite an interesting weekend, despite the horror of daylight savings time. Why do we in the western hemisphere put ouselves through this twice yearly masochism? Honestly, "spring forward" and life in the central time zone sells itself really. "Come to Colarado, where the time never changes."
The fall is always a breeze because you go back an hour, but even that exercise leaves me puzzled as I trundle home from work in the pitch black, knowing that only the day before it was in daylight. As for spring, we all collectively endure imposed jet lag for a week while we adjust. I don't get it. WHAT is the purpose here? I'm all for helping the farmers, but give them my tax dollars. Let me keep my extra hour of sleep dammit!
Monday at work was a write off. I barely got through the day. Then towards the end one of the designers ["Esther"] and I just started getting the giggles because we were so punchy. I submitted to Esther that I could never be a spy. Just deprive me of sleep and basically, well what do you want to know? Or it's the other extreme. I get massive amounts of energy. So we're cracking up because I'm talking about how I'd be getting Chinese Water Torture and instead of feeling tormented I'd be all "C'moooooon maaaan. Let's go swimmin'!!!"
Well. Guess ya had to be there.
Still, this past weekend was the first really nice one of the year, with reasonable temperatures and blazing sunshine. I never cease to be amazed at what a miracle spring is, how the earth can be frozen and blasted by snow and wind for months on end, and then like clockwork everything comes back to life. My theory is that summer reminds you of how good living is. Spring reminds you of how good it is to be alive period.
This weekend I completed, in no particular order:
Backyard clean up - garbage and garden prep [Yay! Gladiolas!]
Basement clean up - a little bit every week as I head towards completing another New Year's Revolution
Got the rust stains out of my dishwasher - that Jet Dry descaling stuff really works!
Cleaned out the utensil drawers and returned them to a semblance of order
Went out with the Duke, my personal shopping consultant and got a whackload of new clothes with my birthday money. Thank you oh Duke, for taking me out of my Italian Widow look. Colour! Who knew?
Went to Canadian Tire and got cleaning supplies. Went to Rona and got yard bags [that's a blog in and of itself] and a window well cover. I also resisted the urge to buy aforementioned Gladiolas, not to mention Lily of the Valleys and Dhalias. I'll get those in a couple of weeks when all danger of frost is gone.
Made homemade pizzas.
I don't think I've done so much in a weekend in years. Seriously. I'm going through this weird phase where I'm pushing myself to do more and I can actually do it. Usually after a weekend like this I'd be bone tired until Wednesday, but other than some sore legs from gardening and my daylight savings jet lag, I feel perfectly fine. It's a mixed bag of blessings. I'm so happy to just get things done and not feel totalled for it. But at the same time, another part of me is angry that for so long, this basic stuff was just very hard for me to do at times. I get through chores in an hour that used to take me a whole morning or afternoon to do and I think that's it? That's all it took?
I'm like a cat taking some tentative steps out from under a deck after a rain storm. I'm finding what was once difficult, really isn't anymore and it's great, but strange. I'm beginning to think something I haven't in a very long time: What else can I do?
Tuesday, April 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The amount of despair I feel at losing an hour of sleep is greater than the amount of joy I feel at gaining an hour of sleep. In sum total then, my net happiness would be greater if the clocks never changed. I figured this out when I was about 11 years old.
Damn farmers.
Post a Comment