Ah yes Dear Reader. Hell hath no fury like a musician ignored.
To wit, I present the latest rant from Canada's independent music scene featured in today's Star.
"I feel really sorry for those kids in Canadian Idol because they're going absolutely nowhere," singer Kevin Drew said backstage after Sunday's awards.
Oh really? Tell that to Kelly Clarkson oh bitter Broken Social Scene.
And I love this one:
"Collectively we probably have 200 years worth of gig experience. I feel only empathy . . . for the kids that are put in that position before they have those road scars," she [Feist] said Sunday.
Susanne Boyce was so right to point out that audiences connect with you or they don't. Some people have it inately. And some people need 200 collective hours to get it. Since when do Canadian independents have a monopoly on the fact that performance is work?
Here's the thing. I get what they're getting at and it's this: Canada has some of the greatest music period and it's independent scene is unbelievably diverse and exceptional. But as usual, record labels follow the almighty buck.
Uh...I'm sorry. This is news?
Twas ever thus, and I think if it's bothersome to some musicians, they should focus on that issue instead of trashing some twenty-somethings "livin' the dream" however impermanent or imperfect their manner of doing so will end up being.
Artists can be very supportive of each other. In fact, it's essential. But I get really really tired of the "we are the world" crap. Because more often than not, artists, musicians in particular, are some of the most competitive, petty, non-well-wishers you'll ever encounter.
And the fact is, most indie bands would give their nipples to have the kind of sales the idol kids do. Trashing them just comes across as sour grapes, because it is. Spare me the too-cool-for-school bullsh*t. You want to be hip and independent? Do it. Just don't bitch about the fact that not everyone will be into the music you make and your record sales will reflect that.
The fact is that it's about accessibility. Celine Dion is always going to have more record sales than a thrash metal band. But I think that if thrash metal is what that band wants to do then they should. Their music has no less right to exist than pop balladry. Because in the end that's what's important. It's about loving what you do and being true to it despite it all. You either love it or you don't. If you love it, the fact that you're "critical darlings" that no one else is really paying attention to won't bother you. [Honestly. The sense of entitlement is staggering.]
In the meantime, the Canadian independent scene should focus on the issue, which is that major labels need to wake up and smell the coffee so that they can really begin to work with their independent counterparts to bring new music to the fore. Even the biggest stars were independents once and trashing major labels won't win you any favours or friends.
That's life and the lessons are hard. The Idols will learn theirs and independents should remember the one about not biting the hand that feeds you. Instead, they should be calling their label reps to ask how many meetings they've had at the major labels to pitch them. That way they'll be ready when the candy confection that is the Idol house of cards comes tumbling down.
Because it will.
Tuesday, April 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm confused by this rant my friend. Broken Social Scene might just be one of the most supportive independent bands out there -- they're a huge collective -- that's kind of the point. They also have wickedly huge record sales...you didn't link to the article so I can't see what context the comments are coming from. Are they just bashing "Canadian Idol" for its rampant ridiculousness? I think it's more that they're a flash in the pan in terms of Canada -- Kelly Clarkson being the exception to the rule -- what's the first Canadian Idol fellow doing? Second string on faux-Broadway? They're manufactured, which is kind of the point of the show, we all realize that, but what happens to them after it all fades away? When they're stuck doing the karaoke they've been pimped up to do on national television. Maybe that's where all the comments are coming from?
Sorry for the long-ass post...
Never ever apologize for a long ass post. I've put up a link to the article, even though the Star won't have it for long. What I was getting at is that Idol is ridiculous but so what? If those kids want a chance, they'll go for it anyway they can, and I think it's completely classless for a band that has had some success to trash them. Telling a twenty-something they'll be washed up and no one will know them in a bit, well what a terrible thing to say. BSS has earned they're chops gigging. The Idols earn theirs by getting massive exposure right away and winning and losing in front of everyone. Pick your poison. Either sitch is tough. These kids are't stupid. They've seen the show. They know they're being exploited. You know what? They don't care, cause they want a shot.
I'm sure BSS is supportive. It would appear, however, that they're only supportive of the artists they like. I would have had a lot more respect if they had used their win to talk about the real issue and had said something like "We're an example of what the Canadian independent scene is all about. It's not just Idol folks. We're here and we need more industry support!" It's like what Dave was saying in that Fembots article you linked to. Pretty much everyone in the independent scene has reconciled themselves to the fact that they won't get radio play. That's unreal! Such good music not getting heard! Stop bitching! Start working to change it. Start leveraging the dollars independent music is bringing in to get more promotion. Hey, I think Idol is cheesy too. I also know how hard it is to be out there on that stage, for anyone, Idol or independent. That will always have my respect even if I don't care for the music. BSS really had a great opportunity here to advocate for independents. Instead, they made themselves look like a bunch of bitter music snobs.
Post a Comment