As my sleep has been improving and thus my energy level overall, one thing I’ve noticed is the value of doing a little here, a little there.
I have a tendency to have all or nothing thinking combined with a high degree of impatience. As a result, I am a strategic and decisive thinker. This comes in handy for you if you’re a project manager, but it’s an approach that can be hazardous to the quality of your daily life.
I’ve noticed I’m good at the big decisions but will procrastinate sometimes and then do a big job all at once.
Most of the time this has been a necessity. When you’re energy isn’t great or you’re just a total stress ball, you pretty much deal with things when they are right in front of you, when that big pile of dishes in the sink just CAN’T be ignored anymore.
But I’ve noticed that as my physicality has changed and frankly, life is just not full of non-stop bullsh*t, I’m able to step back and, dare I say it, plan things.
I’ve found this has worked out especially well in the garden. I always feel a little behind the eight ball, still weeding and planting in June when all the rain from April has gone. This year, I’ve already cleared out the winter debris, done some plantings and am basically ready to go into maintenance mode. This is all due to just an hour or two every weekend over the last month.
It’s the same around the house. I just putter and do a little bit every evening. Somehow it just doesn’t seem like a big deal anymore. The miniscule is no longer monolithic.
As a result, my home is the most organized it has ever been and is getting better all the time. I’m even applying this approach to my New Year’s Revolution to get my basement organized.
I suppose for most of you this is eliciting a big “HUH?” I know what I’ve just talked about is pretty much normal for most, but it’s not for me. I’m beginning to see the power of small steps and for my impatient and demanding heart, that’s a good thing.
Sunday, April 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
ZESTY Im backkkkkkkkkkk, glad u cam eround my way.....u been so quiet here lately huh...whats up with you? Well guess I better read and find out
oooh, i'm bad with the all or nothing thoughts!!! *working on that* and usually people tell me "patience is a virtue" and i follow it up with "that i don't possess" *working on that too*
Post a Comment