It would appear that my week of whinging must continue unabated. No seriously. What a day.
It all started out well enough. I woke up, actually felt somewhat rested (take that impending cold! I defy you! HATCHA!) and got a shower. Did some online banking, checked some email, packed up my plants to take to my snazzin' new office and headed out.
My dentist is in Davisville so I avoided my mistake of last time, which was battling up through the city via Little Portugal and the Annex, and decided to take the Gardiner into the city and go right up University Ave/Avenue Road. It all started to go off the rails at Chestnut Street, just south of Dundas.
What was I thinking being in the right lane? I of course had to sit through a light while the cars in front of me were turning right. I trundle along, finally getting up to the cross street to Duplex Avenue just where Oriole Parkway begins.
What a nightmare! What is UP with traffic in this city? The traffic was completely stop and go. "No matter." think I and turn up a side street working my way over to Yonge. I surmise, in my infinite wisdom, that I shall turn right down Yonge and park in front of the dentist's, except that Yonge street is parking lot.
I park on a side street and walk, getting to the dentist about ten minutes late. Not that it was a big deal as 45 MINUTES LATER, I am still sitting there. The one up side was I got chatting with a very interesting woman who owns a store on Bayview Avenue called Whimsical Things For The Home - or something like this. But she asked what I did, and found that quite interesting. What a change. When I mentioned I had just started my job in July, she said that before she had her own business, she was in personnel and that people were always so much sicker during the first six months of their job due to the stress. You can actually see this statistically apparently.
So that made me feel a little better about the whole job sitch. I haven't been away sick at all, although I've come bloody close a few times and week after next I'll be on vacation. Hurray! The receptionist then chirped in that it shouldn't be too much longer, to which I replied "I have to leave by 10 a.m. if I'm not taken. I waited over half an hour the last time. I got in trouble at work because of it." Of course, this was a total crock, but that's hardly the point. Why am I waiting an hour? Why? My appointment is first thing in the morning. Finally I got called and said to the shop owner, "No offense. But for your sake, I hope you're not here when I get back." She laughed.
So I go in and get my pivot splint fitted. This is so I don't grind and snap my teeth. According to The Marine, I sound like a set of canastas some nights. Five minutes later the fitting was done. Yes, nearly an hour's wait for a five minute exercise.
I pay. I leave.
I start driving down Avenue Road. For some reason, everyone is driving like a maniac. This always happens during a full moon. I mean it's gotta be a full moon right now. I notice this happens all the time. The coup de gras was the lady at Yorkville driving about, oh 20 clicks, in front of a Grand & Toy truck that was just wailing on his horn. As I drove by, I saw her staring around dumbfounded, a deer in proverbial headlights. Her red cheeks were glowing under her blonde hair. It was very Bridget Jones.
Somehow I manage to get to work. I call up to my colleagues, Rembrandt and The Decoder and they come down and got my plants for me. I love boys. Actually, as an aside for a moment, before our move yesterday we were all hanging out in my office. They had already been to our new space and The Decoder says to me "Yes. You're in the corner." Without missing the quintessential beat I replied, "Why? Have I been a naughty girl?"
It was priceless. One of those moments someone hands to you on a silver platter. But I digress.
I go get a coffee. I decide to take the back door route to the office that Rembrandt showed me yesterday. It's shorter. At least it was until I got lost.
Finally get into the office and proceed to put out fires all day long.
But, I just kept at it and discovered something. I discovered that I'm actually starting to get some of this stuff, even if it's just peripherally right now. I'm starting to feel like I know what I'm doing.
Well I suppose.
I have my performance review Monday because they're due this month. So we'll see if my perceptions are sound, won't we? I of course, shall spare no detail.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment