Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Dilemma

This past weekend was lovely as we had yesterday off for Canada Day. For all y'all State side, we celebrate July 1 for our country's birthday.

It was a weekend full of cats. Of course me being the Crazy Cat Lady, how could it be anything else?

I have to admit that I was femaledom's answer to the couch potato this past weekend, with my only assignment of note being the care of Ragdoll's two cats, Walter and Willy Pep. Walter was not happy and quite grumbly with me. This is because Pep bugs her and he was inside for the weekend, plus she's somewhat of a delicate nature anyway. Pep was his usual fiesty self, although on the first day he bugged me quite a bit for cuddles. So much so that I sat in the living room a while and just played with and petted him. Honour satisfied, he then let me go. Plus he knows I got his back. I always give them each an extra big forkful of wet food. I feel it is an Aunt's prerogative to spoil her charges.

The last little while a little cat by the name of Jerry has been in our yard. As usual, it's complicated.

In the spring of 2004 he first appeared and was taken in by a family. I then stumbled across him coming home from work one spring day. He looked like a bobble head cat and was so starved I could see his ribs. I later found out that the people who had taken him in had moved away and just left him.

I got talking with a fellow on the street I'll call "Ted". Ted already has two cats and a dog and loves animals, one of those always-feeding-the-pigeons type of guys. We tag teamed last summer to get Jerry fed and Ted said he would take Jerry in.

Well sorta.

Jerry's been in our yard and looks horrendous. He's starved. When you pet his back you can feel all his bones. On top of that {GROSS OUT ALERT!!} He's had yellow pus coming out his eyes for going on three months now.

He's settled down enough to take some food. I was giving him some eye cream I had on hand but he didn't like that much. I had a left over antibiotic. So I put it through Jerry's wet food and bingo! That did the trick. I went to my vet today to get a full course for him.

Now here's the thing. The Marine was rained out today and picked me up from work. [Which I was glad of by the way because he was deathly ill this past weekend and really needed another day's rest instead of full on framing in the blazing sun. But I digress.] As we turn into our neighbourhood I see Ted on his porch and ask the Marine to pull over as I've been trying to get Ted via phone to no avail.

I talk to Ted. I say, Hey, anything up with Jerry? He's not looking so good. Ted says, oh he's alright. I mention the eye sitch he says well is that bad? So I explain to him how to know when it's bad and how to know when it's ok. He says that Jerry eats like a horse. Well yes. Of course he does. He's STARVING. Then Ted says that he can't coax Jerry to come in the house. That he was out all winter. ALL WINTER!! And that he stayed in a shed Ted had and that he kept the back door open a crack for him to come in on really cold nights.

So I play dumb and say Well hey, I got some left over antibiotics, yadda yadda, wouldn't harm him, yadda yadda, can I give Jerry some and see if it helps? yadda yadda yadda.

Ted says sure and then mentions Jerry hasn't been around for a couple of days. I make no mention of the fact that that's because he's been in my yard all that time.

Here's the thing. Jerry wouldn't come in Ted's house all winter. Yet I've been feeding this cat for 2.5 days and already he's begging to come inside. Now I'm remembering other things like when Jerry got in a bad fight and was all cut up. And to be blunt, cats are fussy eaters and antibiotics taste awful. They only gun down food with antibiotic in it if they're damn hungry.

I'm left with the decided impression that although Ted's basically a good guy with a good heart and is well meaning, he's a few lights short of a Christmas Tree. I don't know how anybody can look at Jerry and describe him as "tough as old boots" and "ah he's ok." Yet I feel like I'm "stealing" this cat. He said to me "Sure! Give him some antibiotics. He's as much your cat as he is mine." But it just seems like Jerry is an outdoor cat, fed occassionally.

The Marine and The Duke were much more pragmatic. They say Ted's full of sh*t and that I should get Jerry veterinary care and a new home toute de freakin' suite.

Any and all input on this situation is welcome Dear Readers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You love your cats dont u...,I don't mess with cats...sneaky...give me a dog anytime though....lol
So you helping feeding cats

Gallis said...

Yes I just love it. Cats are truly wonderful. But I love dogs too.

Deanna McFadden said...

Can you call the humane society? Would they even care about the poor little guy?

And poor Walter was so traumatized by Pep this weekend that we're taking her with us to the cottage. She sh*t everywhere. There was no sh*t in the boxes kind of everywhere.

But yes, thank you for taking such good care of them over the long weekend.