Thursday, May 29, 2008

Because I Felt Like Posting Them

"The moon swam up over the bare wheat fields like a great flower. He went across the yard to the windmills, took off his clothes and stepped into the horse tank. The water had been warmed by the sun all afternoon and was not much warmer than his body. To him, the sun rotated about the wheat fields but the moon, somehow, came out of the historic past and made him think of Egypt and the Pharoahs, the slave quarters of old times, prison windows and fortresses where captives languished.

Inside living people too, captives languished. Yes, inside of people who walked and worked in the broad sun there were captives dwelling in darkness. "--- One of Ours, by Willa Cather

"If you say, 'I am white' it is all over for you. Because the moment you say 'I am white' you force me to say that I am black. --- James Baldwin

No comments: