This past weekend was a mixed bag.
Saturday I dragged myself out of bed and to my naturopath who determined that trying some acupuncture would be a good idea. I'd been wanting to try it and given my ass [or as I like to call "The Great Shadow"] had been following me for weeks, she decided to give it a shot.
It was a somewhat strange sensation. Some spots where the needles were inserted were warm. Others felt like a small weight. I do have to admit though that placebo or not, I did feel substantially more relaxed afterwards. It was a good thing too because I was quite wound up when I got there. The Marine and I had had an argument over - wait for it! - sunglasses.
Oh the stupidity that reigns when people are tired. Sigh.
At any rate, after the naturopath I went to see Ragdoll. She gave me a lovely present from NYC, a small striped bag from The Strand, just perfect for carting around in my purse in case I need a spare carrier.
I also helped Ragdoll hem her pants, because you know, really, I'm Canada's answer to Karl Lagarfeld. Ragdoll seemed pleased enough though and once done, it was off to Walk With Dinosaurs!! YAH!
Poppa Barney was originally supposed to go, but as his leg was bothering him, he offered me the ticket. It was a good chance for me to spend some time with my niece so some logistical mishaps aside, I eventually met up with Rosy, her mother Myrtle and Mama Effie at the Air Canada Centre.
We got our seats and waited. I had thought it would be some kind of statue affair. You know, like walking around looking at life size dinosaur replicas. Instead, it was a full on show featuring animatronic live action dinosaurs.
LIVE ACTION Y'ALL!! PEW! PEW! PEW! PEW!
Initially Rosy was a bit hesitant. She was scared. Maybe the dinosaurs would come and get us. I assured her that I was poised and ready for action, but it was to no avail. Finally I said "Look. If I wanted to do a show that kids liked, would I make it scary?"
"Well....no."
"Because the kids wouldn't want to come see it would they?"
"No."
"Because it's scary."
"Yes."
"So if a show is popular with kids, it must not be scary."
"But how do you know?" Rosy asks.
"It's common sense dude." For the record, I love calling my six year old niece "dude."
Then there was an announcement that the role of the paleontologist would be played by so and so. This got Rosy's attention.
"Oh!" says Rosy. "Is that an archeologist?"
"Yes" I replied. "But a special kind. Do you know what a paleontologist studies?"
"No."
"Bones." [I knew that Anthropology 101 course at UofT would come in handy one day!]
"And if he's out there, then the dinosaurs can't be scary can they?" Ah the cold logic of a child.
"No. I don't think so." I replied.
And then the show began. Now I can't really do it justice, so I'll do what any blogger attempting to capture a given moment would do. Go to YouTube.
Now, despite the fact that these are obviously animated models on wheels, you really do suspend your disbelief at this show. It was really well done and not dumbed down at all.
When I was Rosy's age, the big event was Ice Capades fer chrissakes, and the only special effect of note was the collective swinging of the mini flashlights everyone had bought.
Childhood entertainment has certainly come a long way.
Monday, June 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
acupuncture rocks. i've had it many times and have seen some improvements. she even has added these electric things to it for extra simulation. felt like electric ants crawling over my feet. i have to admit it reminded me of that game operation when i was a kid though. rosy sounds like a complete gem. love the idea of living in a moment of dinosaurs...they are like rock stars, spiky cool.
Post a Comment