Saturday, January 31, 2009

We Can Rebuild Him

This past Monday my Dad made it through hip replacement surgery. Having seen Ragdoll go through it, I knew it was no walk in the park [no pun intended], but I also knew that the end result would be worth the effort of recovery.

The last two years have not been kind to my family on the health front. There was my mother's leukemia in 2007 and for the most of that year and last, my Dad's been hobbling around like a drunken sailor, pain and diminishing mobility his ever constant companions. Now he's back at home, off intravenous pain killers and with a strong dose of determination and Tylenol 3's, he's ready to start his journey back to normalcy.

My parents don't talk about these things too much. Sure, they have their days, but it's not in their nature to complain about infirmity. They just get on with things. Still, serious illness, both in yourself and others, is a disconcerting thing to experience. As I get older I hear of other friends whose parents have gotten sick or worse, have died and it has caused me to really cherish what time I have with my family because who knows what curve balls life has planned, how much longer any of us will be here.

As my maternal Granny used to say "You never know the minute, and it's probably just as well."

It's probably a case of "scared straight" but my parents' illnesses coincided with my anemia beginning to resolve, which meant I had a hope in hell of sticking with an exercise program without getting ill. Seeing what my parents have gone through has only strengthened my resolve to get fit and lose weight once and for all. I think I'll need this determination next week especially. Circuit training starts. Oy vey.

Still, I like the feeling of getting stronger even if my clothes aren't that much baggier yet. I actually look forward to my work outs now, which given the fact I'm the worst morning person I know, is a minor miracle.

I think it's the utilitarian nature of a workout that lets me unapologetically carve out one hour a day that is solely for myself. "I can take this time" the reasoning goes "because it serves a useful and healthful purpose." Working out and getting my heart rate up to 160 bpm's doesn't feel indulgent the way a pedicure does. I suppose this is a hurdle I need to get better at leaping, being kinder to myself I mean. It can't all be free weights and elipticals all the time.

Current Workout Song Obsession: She's a Beauty, The Tubes
[Yeah I KNOW. But we all got singing this one morning when it came on at the club and we had such a laugh that just hearing it just puts a smile on my face. ]
15 min mile pace: 3.8
Jar Opening Propensity: Hot water no longer required.

No comments: